Another week another version!
Firstly the game now has difficulty levels! The current difficulty is now called Normal. Because the difficulty does affect the world generation you can only select the difficulty at the start of a new game. Time will tell if the new difficulty levels are balanced or not.
Plus, I’ve finally gotten around to adding a full history when exploring dungeons.
Full list of changes in Beta 7.6:
- Magic affinity now affects all spells and reduces by a % of MP cost
- Heroes can now be dismissed at the Town Hall
- Fix bug in stat modifiers display
- Dungeon message history log added (click on the compass)
- Damage number colors added
- Weapon mastery skills descriptions fixed
- Fix UI breakage when returning to the world map under certain conditions
- Fix incorrect Town icons on sidebar when switching worlds (by loading a game)
- Fix auto map switches in multi party dungeons
- Difficulty settings added to game creation (chosen on world generation)
- Fix various spelling mistakes
A new week brings a new verions. Beta 7.5 brings a long list of fixes and improvments, some key changes are an autosave system that saves your game at the end of each turn, plus you now have better control over your save game slots. You’ll also find that larger maps are faster to move around in.
- Rabid rat poison bite only poisons on hit
- Tweak Rogue combat skills
- Mass heal fixed again, properly applies INT and skills
- Skill categories are now persistent
- Tweak Curse effect length
- Altars, fountains and switches are now on the auto map
- Added ability to view character status on level up
- Game now autosaves at the end of each turn
- Load/save no longer limited to a single slot
- [WINDOWS] Migrated save files to AppData\Local\Heroes of a Broken Land\ folder
- Fix stat fountain interaction
- Enchanter now affects all stores in all towns
- Fix world map not centering on large maps
- Fix bug where wizard power was not properly applied to all stats
- Show stat bonus breakdown in character status screen
- Quick and ugly fix for moving around on large maps (will improve at a later date)
Beta 7.4 is a mostly a bug-fix release, addressing some dungeon generation bugs and some UI improvements.
A Wwarning: Due to a change in how dungeons are generated (to prevent broken teleporters) all in-progress dungeons will be reset. You may want to consider completing dungeons before upgrading.
- Fix issue where multiple teleporters were placed on the same spot
- Added keyboard shortcuts to item menu
- Added favorites skill list (starred skills, click next to MP cost to toggle)
- Prevent monster spawning from Tutorial Dungeon
- Fix bug with save games while party is on teleporter
- Added keyboard shortcut for auto-attack (Z)
- Prevent selling of key quest items
- Fix hang when removing parties from the guild
- Add Restore MP ability to fully restore MP by items
- Teleporters can now be activated by Passing while standing on them
- Fix farm income not showing in overview screen
No big news here – Beta 7.2 fixes some save game issues people had with Beta 7.0, and hopefully fixes the auto patching (which will make future updates easier!)
Unfortuately the updater in Beta 7.0 was broken so you’ll have to update manually (this link is in the update message!)
Beta 7.0 brings a huge amount of fixed and improvements!
The most noticable change is you now choose your Wizard! Each wizard has a unique power that improves your heroes in a unique way.
Plus lots and lots of bug fixes:
- Stables added – build to increase movement points
- Quest log will now focus on quest location if known (double click entry)
- World map now shows treasure, dungeons and monsters. Clicking will focus view.
- Fix Holy Light – will now heal even if monsters defeated
- Skill list scroll bar overlap fixed
- Books will now be grayed out of skill is already known
- Monster stats show kill count
- Fame Lv popup will not correctly handle when multiple fame levels are gained
- Fixed dungeon quests auto-ending after completing a main Quest
- Mouse wheel now scrolls lists
- Items now show stats in stores and inventory (via tooltip)
- Monster gold drop tweaked
- Resist spell fixed, was not properly calculating resitances
- Skill list now has tabs to filter skills (All, Healing only, Fire only, etc)
- Fixed stupid bug with non-combat skill levels wrong for Elite classes
- Hero statistics now tracked and viewable (# kills, total damage, etc)
- Add Auto-heal button to item screen, uses potions to heal party to full health
- Fix potential bug causing ladders to disappear
- Level-up screen attributes fixed
- Teleporters added to dungeons
- Can modify hero names in Adventure’s Guild
- Any party standing on a Town or surrounding tile is considered in Town (found in Guild, etc)
- Waiting in dungeons will auto-collect loose items (gold, potions, etc)
- Updated SFX for many spells
- Music playlist more varied inside dungeons
- R-click town icons to center view
- Fix Main quest breakage – you can now finish the game once more!
- Fixed Void altars not giving MP
- Wizard selection enabled
- Tweaked ladder collision, should now be able to click through to disarm traps
- Added tooltips to describe items (books & potions) in stores and inventory
- Added weapon class info to class help screen
- Fix issue when locked doors are clicked on to close
- Added damage/duration info to more spells (Burn, Poison, etc)
- Keyboard shortcut for save/load (F5/F9 by default, change in settings)
Whew! That’s a lot of fixes. HOBL is getting closer and closer to the first final release. It’ll be mostly fixes and balancing for the next while.
Heroes of a Broken Land is part of GamersGate’s latest IndieFort bundle. So if you’ve been interested in getting Heroes of a Broken Land this is probably a great chance to pick it up!
The bundle is running from Nov 7th to Nov 14th, so don’t wait!